Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My First Skydive Part II, My First Exit


Now came my turn to experience my very first skydive.  I was tightened up to my tandem master “hippie” and with a big grin we moved quickly towards the open door.  My heart races, even now, thinking about that feeling moving towards an open door for the first time.  I fondly remember Hippie asking me if I was ready, then the look on his face as he glanced down to see that my feet were already hanging out the door.  I was ready and eager to go.  He said Go and that was that.  That very first sensation was like diving into the water.  I wanted to catch my breath, but couldn’t the wind was so fast and so cold that I found myself ducking my head to brace the wind so I could breath.  Yet inexplicably I was smiling uncontrollably.  There was absolutely no fear. 


We were falling so fast and yet it felt so much longer.  That rush, the ride, the view of the world spinning almost out of control and yet inexplicably peaceful and controlled.  Just as I began to get my bearings we waved off from our amazing videographer, and I felt like was being bungeed through the air from the opening of canopy.  I looked up to see that there was a big beautiful canopy above our heads.  It was such an experience. Hippie was amazing and did a bunch of spirals in the air, and even let me do some turns myself.  The exhilaration of having that unique vantage high above the ground with nothing to hold on to, is something I will always cherish.  Feet dangling below, 3000 or so ft above the ground, just eagerly waiting for the landing, the next new experience in a day filled with so many. 

I was told to put my feet up, as the ground rushed towards us.  And just like that I was back on firm soil.  The two, who skydived with me eagerly asked me if I would do that again.  And without even thinking, I said yes.  It was like being on a rollercoaster with absolutely no bars, or rails.  I was on an adrenaline high that had me grinning like a fool.  And if it was free, I would have absolutely gone right back up in that plane there and then. 

That rush was amazing and the feeling of jumping out of a plane is almost un-explainable.  I have Emerson to thank for making this the first jump of what I know will be a much longer career.  He has a passion for flight, and sharing his journey is a task I love being invited on even though I do not share his ultimate goal of wingsuit flight. I love the adventure, and I am lucky enough to be granted permission to share his adventures of a wannabe sugar glider with you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment