Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Dream Takes Life


Emerson purchased his first skydiving rig on Friday February 8th 2013, and now it is really sinking in that his dreams of flying a wingsuit are becoming a reality.  I am writing this as a biography for him, starting at the pivotal point where all the years of planning and hard work come into fruition.  His first real 5 year plan is at its end and the next 5 year plan is being created and amended in his head to make room for his career and his passion, specifically to pay for his lifestyle and to fund his dream of flight.  In the 2 plus years that I have dated him, I have watched him immerse himself in every possible aspect of flying.  For his 30th birthday, he flew himself to Perris Valley and in two weeks achieved his A license in skydiving.  The goal has never been to become a professional skydiver, rather to feel that rush of adrenaline while flying a wingsuit, becoming that flying squirrel that encompasses much of his imagination. But as with all things Emerson, the end goal will grow and change with each new adventure he experiences.

I want to tell his story, but I am sharing the experience through my eyes so I will begin where I entered the picture to ensure that the resulting blog is as factual and accurate as I can possibly make it, so that he has the best record of the events that will lead to him taking his first proximity flight and possibly beyond.  From the first day that I met him we were talking about airplanes and flying.  I even off handed mentioned that I would try skydiving if the opportunity presented itself.  I had no idea how much impact that little remark would have on my life from that moment on and more importantly how huge a role flight was in his life.

In the first two weeks getting to know Emerson we had very typical conversations that one would expect while dating.  Laughing, hanging out, going bowling and visiting plant stores, but as I soon found out his aspirations were anything but normal.  Three weeks after meeting Emerson, my phone rang, and the conversation went something like this.  “Hey Krystal, do you remember how when we met you said that you would try skydiving? Well I just found a great drop zone in Edmonton called Eden North and the weather next weekend looks pretty good.  How would you feel about driving up to Edmonton and jumping out of a plane with me?”  To my surprise I answered with an only slightly hesitant OK, and my small part in this journey began.  



No comments:

Post a Comment